i used to treat showers like my personal spa steam room experience – so hot you might possibly pass out. and then one day i woke up and just couldn’t do it anymore.
when i started kundalini teacher training, my body started running really hot. i’d lay in my bed struggling to sleep, feeling like i was on fire even though my AC was set to 67.
if you know me, you know i usually keep my heat on 75 year-round… so this was a pretty crazy change for me.
the major thing that helped me through this was to take a cold shower. i started learning more about it, and realized i had gone my whole life not living up to my physical potential… just by taking scalding hot showers!
yogi bhajan likens taking hot showers to eating junk food – yes, it feels great temporarily… but ultimately you’re doing more harm than good.
cold showers are considered to be a form of hydrotherapy in eastern tradition. it’s one of the most basic technologies available to us!
WHAT A COLD SHOWER DOES:
- DETOXIFIES & BALANCES
- stimulates and detoxifies circulation
- detoxifies the muscles due to contraction
- detoxifies the organs and balances the glandular system
- IMPROVES SKIN AND HAIR
- hot water is drying for the skin and hair! cold water helps you maintain this natural balance and keep you looking young and radiant.
- STRENGTHENS YOU
- strengthens the nervous systems, lowers blood pressure, allows the organs and glands to work at maximum capacity
- if you can wake up in the morning and take a cold shower, you can literally do anything. they say “every cold shower is a small victory!”
- helps keep you from getting sick
- KEEPS YOU SLIM
- helps prevent development of extraneous fat
for a detailed how-to on taking yogic cold showers, as taught by yogi bhajan, check out this guide on 3ho.